Skip to main content

40-Day Sugar Fast

I know, another post from me where I say something is going to be different than it has been in the past...and then you don't hear from me for months at a time. I get it. So, this time there's no promises. At all.

I started a devotional this morning by Wendy Speake called The 40-Day Sugar Fast. She's real, and raw, and she'll call you out on your sin in a way that makes you thankful and cringe at the same time.  I'm accepting the challenge to go 40 days without sugar, and my prayer is that I will chronicle my journey here.

Day 1 - It's almost 5pm, and I've not really even craved sugar yet.  It's been a great day of homeschooling the kids, and we started at the Y again with Homeschool PE which gives me dedicated time to get in a workout.  Done.  I've outlined that the only sugar I will have will come from protein powder (which has minimal sugar) in a shake after a workout, BBQ sauce, ketchup, or marinade that is already on the menu for the month that, and fresh fruits.  I won't be making healthier versions of baked goods, nor will I partake in Sunday Sundaes or eat my aunts cheesecake at Thanksgiving. 

I feel great. Better than I did yesterday after eating all the sugar. I'm reservedly hopeful.  I know my God is big - and this is a physical fast and a spiritual one as well.  "We suffer spiritually each time we reach for a sugar high rather than the Most High," is one of the first quotes I copied down to remember.  This is hard work y'all...but it's needed.  I need Jesus more than sugar.  I want to want Jesus more than sugar.

These 40 Days are for you sweet, sweet Savior.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having a Healthy Relationship with Food

Today is Day 1. Day 1 of my reset with food. I'm about to get real...I've gone off the rails.  I am craving things that I haven't craved in months. I'm wanting to eat handfuls of chocolate chips out of my pantry, or wanting to shove all the cookies into my mouth while no one is looking (because Culinary Nutrition Expert's don't eat gluten-containing cookies by the bucketful).  But, I'm realizing that I must be honest about where I find myself in my food journey.  2 years ago white sugar was my drug of choice...food was what I ran to for comfort and happiness.  I tackled that.  Except I didn't.  A heroin addict wouldn't go back to just a little bit every so often.  An alcoholic would not be advised to drink in moderation.  And a sugar addict can't expect to control her addiction to sugar by only eating it on "special occasions." A little less than 2 years ago as I just began to realize I had an unhealthy relationship with food....

Recipes from 6/6/17

You'll find my 'recipes' below...but before you dive in there, can I share just a few thoughts with you? 1. Thank you.  Thank you for coming to read this and to walk with me on this journey of feeling so much better and making better decisions for myself and my family.  2. I'm sorry for the way I do recipes. If you are one that needs precise measurements and exact times to cook things - just stop now.  You'll likely never find that here. It's just not me.  I look at a recipe and change it just about every time I make it.  That's why I don't bake very often!  Anyway, I am much more of a just go with it and experiment kind of recipe girl!  Hope it inspires you to do your own thing in the kitchen too! "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" Scramble: Throw some coconut oil in your large cast iron skillet, and let it get good and hot. In the mean time, chop up some onion, bell pepper, sugar snap peas, sweet potato, potato, zucchini, squash....

I am learning.

Have you ever found yourself lost?  Not in the sense that you have absolutely no idea where you are - but more that you have somewhat of an idea but you just aren't sure how to get to the place you are attempting to get to?  Please tell me I'm not the only one! This is where I find myself today.  I pulled out of my driveway just a bit ago in Katy, TX and made a few turns with complete confidence that I was on my way to the Y.  Then I realized - I'm actually headed in the wrong direction.  I did a U-turn and Asher immediately asked why.  I explained that this is what I do these days.  I am learning, so I turn around often.  I am learning, so I make mistakes.  I am learning, so getting some place takes a little bit longer these days.  And now, as I sit waiting to take the BODYPUMP class at my new YMCA, I'm amazed at those simple words I spoke to my son just a few minutes ago.  I was speaking then about learning how to get around...