Skip to main content

3 weeks later

Lots can happen in 3 weeks!  For example:
I know which way to turn out of my neighborhood to get to several grocery stores, the Y, the church, and various other locations.  And, most of the time I can find my way between those locations and back home.  It's amazing feeling a little more settled.

I also know where I should go to buy certain things, and when to avoid HEB like the plague. I'm learning about my new friends, and I'm grateful to be making some.  

But what I'm learning mostly is that I'm forgiven.  3 weeks ago I felt like I had gone off the rails completely with my eating habits.  And I had. I had fallen into loving food so much that it became an idol in my life.  You may be reading this and thinking that I'm crazy - but here's my reality.  Maybe you've heard the story where the Israelites melt down all the gold they have between them and make a golden calf to worship.  They couldn't see the One True God, and they were struggling - so they made their own and worshipped it.  I can relate.  Maybe I didn't make an ice cream cone of gold - but I might as well have.  You see, when the Israelites worshipped the golden calf, they were giving it their adoration and their thanks, and their worship.  I have been giving my adoration and thanks and worship to my food. 

Ugh. That's hard to swallow.  Quite literally.  But, yesterday, as I sat in church and listened to the worship band proclaiming the freedom from sin that Jesus provided - I was mesmerized.  We sang these words:

It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished 

It was my sin that held Him to the cross.  But He brought me life. It's finished. This sin of idolizing food, of overeating, of giving into all the cravings that I know won't bring me health or joy...the power those things had over me, are no more. It is finished. 

I'm grateful. 

So today, I'm living in that freedom.  I'm a week in to a Bible Study called The Lord's Table which helps me to feast on Jesus instead of on foods.  I believe that freedom from this life-dominating sin has come.  I believe that He has already forgiven me, and He has given me the power to overcome through The Holy Spirit. 

I also realize that some of you reading this may think I'm being a bit extreme. There are people who might overeat here and there, or indulge themselves in extra dessert that are NOT stuck in a life-dominating sin.  I'm not attempting to accuse anyone.  I'm simply stating that for me, my heart and actions were not what Jesus wanted.  I wanted to take the biggest cookie before my kids could pick it. I was obsessed with food, and gave it a place in my life that no one desires...except for Jesus. 

I wonder if anyone else grapples with this, but has been either ashamed to say it, or has been told by others that it isn't a big deal.  I went through a huge weight loss journey, and was given victory in that regard...but I was still enslaved to food.  It still was my god. I just was able to fight hard enough to lose the weight.  This time, I don't want it to be about the weight...I want it to simply be about bringing glory to God...and being free from the bondage of sin. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts, or answer your questions.  I'd love even more to hear your story, and be able to share with you that Christ the Overcome has paid for this. You can be free too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Having a Healthy Relationship with Food

Today is Day 1. Day 1 of my reset with food. I'm about to get real...I've gone off the rails.  I am craving things that I haven't craved in months. I'm wanting to eat handfuls of chocolate chips out of my pantry, or wanting to shove all the cookies into my mouth while no one is looking (because Culinary Nutrition Expert's don't eat gluten-containing cookies by the bucketful).  But, I'm realizing that I must be honest about where I find myself in my food journey.  2 years ago white sugar was my drug of choice...food was what I ran to for comfort and happiness.  I tackled that.  Except I didn't.  A heroin addict wouldn't go back to just a little bit every so often.  An alcoholic would not be advised to drink in moderation.  And a sugar addict can't expect to control her addiction to sugar by only eating it on "special occasions." A little less than 2 years ago as I just began to realize I had an unhealthy relationship with food.

Recipes from 6/6/17

You'll find my 'recipes' below...but before you dive in there, can I share just a few thoughts with you? 1. Thank you.  Thank you for coming to read this and to walk with me on this journey of feeling so much better and making better decisions for myself and my family.  2. I'm sorry for the way I do recipes. If you are one that needs precise measurements and exact times to cook things - just stop now.  You'll likely never find that here. It's just not me.  I look at a recipe and change it just about every time I make it.  That's why I don't bake very often!  Anyway, I am much more of a just go with it and experiment kind of recipe girl!  Hope it inspires you to do your own thing in the kitchen too! "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" Scramble: Throw some coconut oil in your large cast iron skillet, and let it get good and hot. In the mean time, chop up some onion, bell pepper, sugar snap peas, sweet potato, potato, zucchini, squash.

Peppermint Natte Latte

I love those shirts and coffee mugs that say things like "first coffee" or "all I need is a little coffee and Jesus."  I think most people like them because they are relatable, right?  We need to all enjoy mornings a little bit more once we have a bit of the liquid goodness in our system...we're more awake, more ready to tackle the day, more ready to take a step into whatever comes our way. Yet, by about 2:00pm everyday I feel like I need a shot in the arm...or I did.  I'm sure I'm not the only one.  Yawning, stretching, dazing out the window...they all become more prevalent than getting anything accomplished. What if I told you I've found a new routine?  A new normal? I love to wake up in the dark and quiet of the house. There's peace in those moments before kidlets wake and before my husband starts to ready himself for the day.  My day begins with a bit of gentle yin yoga practice, getting my body ready for moving and being used