Skip to main content

Recipes from 6/6/17

You'll find my 'recipes' below...but before you dive in there, can I share just a few thoughts with you?

1. Thank you.  Thank you for coming to read this and to walk with me on this journey of feeling so much better and making better decisions for myself and my family. 
2. I'm sorry for the way I do recipes. If you are one that needs precise measurements and exact times to cook things - just stop now.  You'll likely never find that here. It's just not me.  I look at a recipe and change it just about every time I make it.  That's why I don't bake very often!  Anyway, I am much more of a just go with it and experiment kind of recipe girl!  Hope it inspires you to do your own thing in the kitchen too!

"Everything but the Kitchen Sink" Scramble:

Throw some coconut oil in your large cast iron skillet, and let it get good and hot. In the mean time, chop up some onion, bell pepper, sugar snap peas, sweet potato, potato, zucchini, squash...really whatever veggies you can find in your kitchen. Let the veggies get soft. 

While they cook, crack some eggs in a bowl and scramble with just a bit of water.  Add these to the pan once the veggies are soft.  Season with salt, pepper, and garlic (bonus points if you have fresh garlic already cooking with the veggies). Scramble. Serve.

Granola Crumble:

2 c. quick oats
2 c. unsweetened coconut
1 c. peanut or almond butter (no sugar added)
1 c. ground flax seed
2/3 c. honey
a giant pinch of cinammon
a big splash or two of vanilla
chocolate chips or raisins or cranberries to your liking (about 1 c.)

Mix it all together with a wooden spoon. Eat.

Burrito Bowl:

*ALL measurements are wildly estimates!
2 c. cooked rice
1 can black beans, cooked and drained
1# ground beef, cooked and drained
salsa
Tessemae's ranch
avocado
cilantro
garlic
salt

Mix up amounts that seem right to you, and eat and eat and eat.  I typically leave the beans, rice and meat in the fridge and mix the other things in right before I eat it.

Comments

  1. Love this! These are absolutely things I would make and eat! For whatever reason, my brain has been wrongly programmed to hear "healthy" and think "yuck"! I am slowly reprogramming myself to think differently. I think that's the key! It's really not so much about our stomachs, it's more about our brains!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Having a Healthy Relationship with Food

Today is Day 1. Day 1 of my reset with food. I'm about to get real...I've gone off the rails.  I am craving things that I haven't craved in months. I'm wanting to eat handfuls of chocolate chips out of my pantry, or wanting to shove all the cookies into my mouth while no one is looking (because Culinary Nutrition Expert's don't eat gluten-containing cookies by the bucketful).  But, I'm realizing that I must be honest about where I find myself in my food journey.  2 years ago white sugar was my drug of choice...food was what I ran to for comfort and happiness.  I tackled that.  Except I didn't.  A heroin addict wouldn't go back to just a little bit every so often.  An alcoholic would not be advised to drink in moderation.  And a sugar addict can't expect to control her addiction to sugar by only eating it on "special occasions." A little less than 2 years ago as I just began to realize I had an unhealthy relationship with food.

Create, Laugh, Learn, and Eat!

Do you deal with any of the following: • Allergies? • Migraines? • Digestive pain or discomfort? • Anxiety or depression? • Skin disorders or inflammation? • Fatigue? What if relief could come from your pantry instead of your medicine cabinet? Your gut health may be compromised causing you to exhibit signs of leaky gut or increased intestinal permeability. The foods you are consuming could be exacerbating your symptoms. Join Jessi Morton, Culinary Nutrition Expert and former sufferer of leaky gut in this hands-on cooking class. Through discussion and the creation of several recipes Jessi will teach you what foods you need to avoid, and which should become your new staples. You will learn how to change out your familiar favorites for gut supporting options. Tips will be shared for eating more mindfully thereby enhancing gut and overall health and wellness. As you delight in eating a gut- nourishing classic Italian comfort mea

beauty from ashes.

should. shame. guilt. fear. resentment. bitterness. judgement. Ash Wednesday falls on Valentine's Day of all days this year.  I've been trying to wrap my mind around these two celebrations all day.  I've been rather melancholy, similar to the weather, and just quiet. I'm pondering today the idea that Ash Wednesday is a celebration of love in itself.  It's the beginning of a preparatory season looking toward an empty tomb on Easter morning.  It's a season of lament, of sacrifice, of giving alms.  It's for looking inward in an effort to look outward and upward.  This season of Lent is rich. Valentine's Day, in my opinion, is a day created by Hallmark to make more money. It's a gimmicky day where people spend entirely too much money on flowers that are already dead. I've never been one to celebrate the day with Barry - I don't know that we've ever celebrated it...but it is a fun day for my kids, to wear pink and red, and eat chocolate c